Thursday 11 August 2016

Social media

So far I have a blog, a Facebook account, and an Instagram account. The blog I do for fun. Facebook I will likely delete as I do not use it much. Instagram is a new thing for me so I am still trying to figure it out. I fail to see what Twitter might be useful for.

Facebook has been interesting in that it shows there are a lot of dumb people out there with a total lack of restraint. It is absolutely embarrassing how many poorly worded and badly spelt Facebook posts there are. Misspelled words bother me and when I notice that I botched the spelling of something I will go back and correct it if I can. I have found it useful to reconnect with some friends and relatives and I have met a few people with similar interests. I am virtual friends with some polar opposites of what I am. I like to get totally different points of view from my own. I have noticed that people tend to immediately respond to things when I think it would be better if they took a step back and took a moment before posting. The observation holds that everyone is brave on the internet. You also discover a few things about people. I found out a cousin of mine is practically a Communist.

I have been kind of slow in using some of this stuff. I am not against it, I really do not think it adds anything to my life so I find myself not using some of it until lately. I miss newspapers or rather what newspapers were. There are still around however they are dying a slow death from which they will never recover. For example you used to be able to get the Sunday edition and grab a coffee and keep yourself occupied with all kinds of content including the Sunday comics. I would read everything including the advertisements and then go back through to see if I missed anything. I would get a tangible feel for what was going on and what was upcoming. The content in newspapers has declined so much that I have not bought one in years. The newspapers gave you stories, the internet seems to give you quick bites of information. I do read several news sites on a daily basis. It is not the same.

5 comments:

  1. I have a Facebook account, but I rarely post anything. My kids are good to post family photos and I keep the account mostly to be able to snag those photos. The rest of it I don't bother with. I don't even have a cell phone, so there is no texting. I figure if they have something to say, they can call me. And they do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it makes sharing photos easier. I love email. Some aspects of social media I find are not all that useful.

      Delete
  2. I cancelled by Farsebook ages ago. Read some twitter accounts but never Tweet. I really miss a good, honest newspaper. When I was growing up there were three editions of the paper - morning, afternoon and evening. A big story got an extra printing. I saved all the papers from the JFK shooting and the moon landing. I get my news from the internet, not TV, because I don't watch it. You can find the truth if you search hard enough. Oh, all my spelling errors are due to the crumbs under my broken keyboard. And that's the truth....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blatant spelling errors bother me. Innocent stuff does not.

      Delete
  3. True. I left Facebook years ago as well. Like Chickenmom it was used for photos of the family back in the States.
    Did you go to the doctors about your headaches? 10 lashes with a wet noodle if you haven't.

    ReplyDelete