Wednesday 10 August 2016

Get pumped

If you keep eye out while cruising rural Alberta you see lots of old pumps. They can be found in fields where houses once stood and in small towns. This one was occupying some vacant space in Beauvallon, Alberta July 23, 2016. There might have been a  house to go with it. I have used these in campgrounds otherwise I have never had to pump water. I am sure there are a few people out there who did not miss this particular chore when they were growing up. As an aside when exploring old buildings in the middle of nowhere it is a good idea to keep an eye out for old wells.

8 comments:

  1. I have used one of those before! A novel experience...glad it isn't an everyday necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pump like that was the water source at my grandparent's farm. Drinking water was in an enamel bucket sitting on a stool just inside the kitchen door. Best tasting water ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was I kid my parents liked to camp on weekends. There were a few campgrounds in the mountains in British Columbia that had these. I cannot remember where but I do remember the water tasted great.

      Delete
  3. When I lived in Red Deer as a child in the '70s, several parks/playgrounds had these operating. Really, they were just a toy when you're a city kid. Today, of course, I'm sure they would be forbidden as being unsafe. (Unfiltered water? Heaven forbid!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a good way to see where houses used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it is. I have seen a couple in the middle of a field with nothing around it. The house disappeared and the pump remained.

      Delete
  5. I've been asking to get Hubby to get one for our well. If the pump breaks we are in big trouble!

    ReplyDelete