Wednesday 24 August 2016

Cemetery

Off of Highway 41 south and east of Medicine Hat, Alberta. There are supposed to be thirty-five burials here. There are not that many markers when I got here. The sun was starting to go down when I found this on August 19, 2016. 


A marker was put up years ago. "St. Peter's Ev. Lutheran 1st Settlers 1888. Josephburg P.O. Assiniboia West N.W.T."  Alberta was not a province until 1905. Latvian makes it interesting. Groups came to Canada from all over to settle in the middle of nowhere. Canada is still a lot of empty space. There is a Finnish cemetery near Manyberries which is south and west of this place. It is on my list of places to visit.


The back reads: "St. Peter's German Latvian Lutheran Church 1897 - 1945 35 burials. Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord  from henceforth. Rev 14:13"


There are a few headstones still standing.




Very plain. No name that I could see.


Quiet lonely place. Nothing nearby. Twilight on the prairie.

5 comments:

  1. I like history, the originality of markers at old cemeteries...but the last photograph...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old cemeteries fascinate me. I wonder who those people were, what brought them to that place and does anyone remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's some real atmosphere you caught in those photos BW. High summer at dusk is a good time to be out and about in Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about high summer. A number of my better photos have been accidental. Sometimes you do not realize what you have until you take a look at it later. I also have the benefit of visiting some places where it is hard to take a bad photo.

      Delete
  4. How blue the sky is! A beautiful place for the last, long sleep.

    ReplyDelete