Monday 1 February 2016

What happened to all of the towns?

I often wondered what happened to a lot of these places. A lot of small Alberta places were barely more than settlements and never reached enough critical mass to survive hard times. Others disappeared when the railroad left and there was nothing else to sustain them. Drought took care of some others. I have been working my way through the resources section of forgottenalberta.com and perusing the links. Copies of the linked resources are scanned and posted online at his website.

I have met the author of forgottenalberta.com and I am grateful for the links he has posted. The links lead to books by various authors, maps, and some databases. It is a lot to go through. Some of the places that I posted about I cannot readily find stuff online. I would like to have the time to go through some archives and find out more about some of them.


3 comments:

  1. How lucky you were to meet the author! Looks like you are going to have a VERY busy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for answering my question. I never realized that Alberta had gone through such hard times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are irrigation canals in Southern Alberta. Back then there weren't any. Lack of irrigation doomed some places. I am not a historian by any means. I just like to get out and see stuff.

      Delete