Wednesday 13 July 2016

Winlaw, BC July 3, 2016

I did a double-take when I saw the sign. I thought it was a gag sign that someone put up.


To my surprise "Sleep Is For Sissies" is actually the name of an eatery. I was hungry enough that I thought I would check it out.


This is where things got a little odd. I checked out the menu before going in. It was your usual fare. I was one of only five customers. My waitress was dressed like she was going off to what I think might be a Wiccan ceremony later. She looked like she had a crescent moon tattooed on her forehead. She also did not seem too interested in her job. A guy came out from somewhere to stock up supplies and clean dishes who looked like he crawled out from under a rock.


It took a bit of a wait to get my order which I found surprising since all I ordered was a clubhouse and a draught beer. By the way the Nelson Brewing Company makes excellent beer. If you are ever in the area order it. When I got my food I have to admit it was fantastic. I have no idea what they did but I have never had a sandwich taste this good. On my way out I made a point of telling the cook that the food was amazing. She seemed indifferent to what I said.


This is a neat little spot and if I am ever back in the area I would go back just because the food was so good. The service was bizarre. If I owned or managed this place I think I would put up fake road construction detour signs to divert traffic here. The odd thing is that I stopped for food or just coffee at a couple of places in the Kootenays and encountered service where the attitude seemed to be that you were not good enough to be there. I did not understand it. If I had a business in the hospitality trade I would be treating customers like gold to separate them from their money. 

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing the places you can find if you're brave enough to enter?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sleep-Is-For-Sissies/245234978853073

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one made me laugh.; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ye shouldn't be trifling with wiccans BW. You'll be lucky if you don't turn into a toad after eating their food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to figure some people.
    I can understand an indifferent waitress, but not everyone.
    you did your part

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to figure some people.
    I can understand an indifferent waitress, but not everyone.
    you did your part

    ReplyDelete