Thursday 21 July 2016

A quick personal view

Not all that long ago my life was different. I worked constantly, evenings, weekends, and even missed or rescheduled holidays. It seemed like I was stuck in some kind of repeating loop where I was doing the same thing every day. I was constantly busy but I could see no evidence that I was accomplishing anything on a personal or professional level. I never seemed to find the time to enjoy life.

During the last few years my life underwent an upheavel with a number of changes. I work at a different job where I do not have to work outside of office hours. I have the time and freedom to do things when I leave for the day. Freedom! Does it get any better? No it does not.   

The last few years I may be overdoing it with little road trips here and there to catch up on all of the little things I missed. There will be a time when I will not be able to do any of this so I am doing it now. The thing is I feel more alive than I have in the past. I have time to see and experience things.

You cannot take any of this with you. We come this way but once. Take some time to enjoy the journey. 

11 comments:

  1. Now this was a GREAT Post!!!!!!!Glad you decided to take some time to enjoy your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost a lot that I ended up not missing. Funny how that works.

      Delete
  2. How does that saying go?... "no one will say on their death bed that they really truly wish they had spent more time at the office".. Good for you and thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the BEST posts!! Live your life and have fun doing it! Although change can be hard, coming out on the other side of it is awesome! This so rocks, and I am happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!! Life is way too short to spend it working all of the time. There are roses to be smelled and roads to follow and photos to be taken. Glad you are able to do what you love. And that you found this way of life when you are young enough to truly enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post hit me pretty hard.
    my children are all out on their own now, and since that happened I haven't been anywhere or done anything just for fun. I enjoy my job and what farm work I do, but no relaxation or recreation.

    Thanks for the reminder.
    btw, I live vicariously through your travels and plan to get my bike roadworthy again and have some real adventures of my own own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father died at age fifty-four. He worked incredibly hard and had a number of health issues. In his last few years he decided to do a thing or two for himself. He took a ten day pack horse trip with his brother and had a great time. My health is fine however I could see some similarities. What good was anything I had if I never was able to enjoy it? Relatives on my father's side of the family tend to die early of various causes. Not the greatest of genetics. Regardless I decided to change a thing or two. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt. Was your job oilpatch related BW?

    It's all to common in Alberta. One day my daughter was born. I had a job that called for 50~60 hours a week and up. One day my daughter was born...and it seemed that the next, she was three years old, walking and talking...and I missed most of it.

    It takes a lot of guts and courage to back away, gear down and slow down and dispensing with crap that doesn't matter to concentrate on the stuff that does. Or so it seemed to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long story. I opened this can of worms so I may have to do a follow up.

      Delete
  7. Lots of truth in that post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the posts I have done this one got the most reaction. Interesting.

      Delete