Thursday 24 December 2015

Tradition

My former in-laws had a tradition on Christmas Eve. We would attend Midnight Mass at the Catholic Church at midnight. You would get out of church sometime after one in the morning on Christmas Day. You would then go straight home where the family would open presents and have a meal. Once you were done this it would be about four in the morning. Then you would go to bed and get up again later in the morning, usually about nine or ten, to start the regular Christmas routine. My own family when I was growing up never really had any traditions. We went to bed on Christmas Eve, never attended church, and got up when we felt like it on Christmas Day. 

I did not mind attending church. A well executed sermon can really remind you what the season is all about. What I could never get used to is what came immediately after. I do not do well with a lack of sleep and having my sleep disrupted. If I do not get enough sleep I am a wreck the next day and it takes me a day or two to get back in sync with things. I do not miss the tradition, it always seemed to be an endurance test and I never enjoyed being overly tired on Christmas Day or Boxing Day. Everything always seemed to be so rushed.

That being said, I do wish all of you, no matter your traditions or how you celebrate, a Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Merry, Merry Christmas BW! May the New Year be filled with good health, happiness and wonderful adventures!

    ReplyDelete