Thursday 31 December 2015

A few thoughts

The best trip that I took was taking a plane from Edmonton and landing in Victoria on Vancouver Island for five days in July 2013. When I got off the plane I had a rental car and that was it. There was zero planning, I had no goals, no destinations, and no reservations. In that time I put 1,200km on a Ford Focus zipping around the lower part of Vancouver Island. 

During that time I went to Campbell River, Tofino, Ucluelet, Nanaimo, took the ferry to Saltspring Island, and Victoria. I stayed in inexpensive motels and ate halibut right off the fishing boat in Ucluelet and walked part of the Wild Pacific Trail. I walked all over Tofino. I walked through downtown Victoria and explored Chinatown. My one regret was not contacting the person who had the cabin for rent for the night in Youbou for $28.00 per night.

I would visit Ucluelet again just to spend more time there. I preferred it over Tofino. Tofino has some unreal beaches that are worth seeing. I would always go back to Victoria. I am not sure about Saltspring Island, I think if I ever get back I would try to see Saturna, Pender, and Gabriola Islands. If I ever did it again it would be by motorcycle and I would make sure I got to Youbou and Port Renfrew.

The point of this is that if you have the chance try something totally different. You might have a hell of a time. I have thoughts of doing this same thing in Nova Scotia sometime.

May you all have a great 2016.

3 comments:

  1. Cheers to you BW!!!!

    This summer I am going to give you a set of GPS coordinates that may or may not be on this continent! Bring a flask of your best rot gut - and I will bring a flask of lighter fluid and you can take artful pictures of the cow pasture we pass out in!

    Safe travels for 2016! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm looking forward to reading about THAT adventure! (Bet it's going to be a doozy!)
    Happy, Happy New Year! :o)

    ReplyDelete