Thursday 6 July 2023

The bike has been kind of neglected lately . . .

Went home for lunch yesterday and took the bike back to work. After work I took a run out to visit mom which is about an hour and fifteen minute ride.

I have not ridden the bike in about three weeks. Weather here has been lousy and life also got in the way. Last night the weather was sunny and warm and I got reminded again how fun this is.

Visiting mom these days is interesting. She is having memory lapses. She is occasionally telling me events from the past that never happened. Some of them are quite amusing. I do not say anything, her reality sometimes changes from visit to visit, contradicting her serves no purpose.

The funny thing is my parents never told my sister and I much about themselves. We asked but know nothing about how they met, how long they dated, why they got married. We eventually quit asking. You would almost swear there was some big secret of some kind. There is no secret, I have a large number of relatives that if there was one someone would have said something by now. With mom the way she is I am definitely not going to learn any family history now. Maybe they were so boring that there was nothing to tell.

The ride back was just as enjoyable. This morning just about everything hurts so some degree. I need to get riding it some more

3 comments:

  1. in my mom's last year or so, i got all the family stories. not sure how accurate they were. but most contained way too much information.

    ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right -- always best to just play along with shifting realities and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to watch a parental decline and it's best to go along with where she's at on any given day (or even time of day). If she has any means of playing music perhaps you could make her a CD featuring music from her younger days...maybe even ask her what songs she remembers and likes.

    ReplyDelete