Wednesday 5 August 2020

Is customer service getting worse due to COVID or is it just getting worse?

I do have empathy for those in business. Practically everything is up and operating. A lot of places are not operating at full staff as some staff did not want to come back after being shut down. Some did not come back because they are receiving enough aid that they do not want to work. It cannot be easy with the restrictions.

Three occasions in the past week when I went out to a pub I found the the food was excellent. The wait staff were another matter. Service is slow and orders have been wrong or mixed up or billed incorrectly. I recently waited fifteen minutes for a bill after asking to pay. Stuff happens and I overlook a lot of stuff. No tip though.

There are some places that are worse and seem to be using the COVID situation to not give you any customer service. If I have to do anything at my bank they want be to check in by scanning a code with my cell phone and giving them my phone number and name. I refuse. They do not need all of this for me to stand in line. The standing in line thing is ridiculous as the last few times I have done it at my bank there have been three tellers on, each serving a customer, with no one else in the bank yet we are forced to wait outside.

My cell phone company is not making my day. I want to make a change to my cell plan. I tried to do it at the store that is exclusive to my phone company. I get there and the door is locked. I have to phone the number posted on the door to tell them I am there. Which I grudgingly do. The sign on the door says only two people allowed in the store at one time. At this time there was only one. They will not let me in, they say I can phone my provider an have them do it or change it on the internet. I said I do not want to do it that way, I came here for you to do it. I was again directed to use the internet or call my cell phone provider and do it over the phone. I hung up on them.

If I call my cell phone carrier I get a very user unfriendly menu that tries to get me to do everything via menu options. I want a live person. Every time I annoy the voice menu enough times to get transferred to a real person I am told the hold time is over an hour. Unless of course I give them the option of phoning me when they are free. This time I opted for that. When someone bothered to phone me back I got someone who I could not understand. So I hung up.

 With time I am hoping things will get better. 

10 comments:

  1. Yes, service is going to hell and so is the food (around here anyway). I'm just about ready to give up on cell phones and live without. If I want anything done, I have my stepson do it; he seems to be able to get through the BS far better than I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little different down here in west Texas. Service is not going to hell, it went there last year. No service is the norm now.

      Delete
    2. Agreed, here in WTX, service is in direct relation to oilfield activity, more oilfield work means worse service, and it never seems to recover. Three steps backward and two steps forward, though I’m especially tired of hearing the Covid excuse now, it’s been 4 months. Adapt already.

      The cellular carriers have always been the Spawn of Satan, though.

      Delete
    3. You hit it. No service is the norm.

      Delete
  2. I think customer service went to hell quite a few years ago, and it is directly due to the democrat establishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a UK visitor to your shores, service has gone to hell ever since the expected levels of tipping in a restaurant increased to the point where it would be cheaper to invite the server to join my family for a free meal rather than pay the 'recommended' tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is your recent birthday turning you into a Grumpy Old Man now, LOL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I becoming a grumpy old man? Yes, and no. I do my best to look after my clients and help them out. I have picked up and delivered stuff to and from their homes. I have also seen clients outside of office hours and on weekends. I give a damn about customer service and I would like consideration in return when I am out.

      Delete
  5. Service is lack in most places here, I wonder if it isn't part of a general lack of teaching respect and manners to children...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been waiting for over a week for a return call from our credit union regarding obtaining an 'appointment' in order to go in and do the banking. They don't want you to just arrive at the branch and expect service now - they want you to have an appointment. But how, pray tell, does one GET said appointment when the only thing you can talk to is a machine who then proceeds to ignore you. I finally gave up and went anyway and luckily got in. On the other side of the customer service coin is the large number of customers who are currently being very abusive towards employees who are only trying to do their jobs. I suppose the entire thing adds up to a vicious cycle.

    ReplyDelete