Sunday 5 April 2015

Observations

I have lived in a few interesting places and seen some interesting sights. A few of the places I have lived in, in no particular order, are:

Terrace, BC
Hazelton, BC
Dawson Creek, BC
Cranbrook, BC
Sparwood, BC
Cassiar, BC
Penticton, BC
Kelowna, BC
Sardis, BC
Kamloops, BC
Osoyoos, BC
Edmonton, AB
Drayton Valley, AB
Calgary, AB

Just to name a few. I have lived in a lot more places. Dad liked to move a lot when I was growing up.

Cassiar, BC is near the site of the Cassiar gold rush where on McDame Creek a 72oz gold nugget was found in 1877 by a prospector named Al Freeman. There was briefly a town named Centreville which was a gold rush town. A miner and his wife lived near where the town once was and did some placer mining. I remember his name, just not how to spell it. He showed us the old cemetery, some of the Chinese artifacts he found (such as old Chinese coins), and other assorted relics. As an aside, you could learn to recognize Chinese diggings as they had a particular way of mining. 

My father and I used to do some exploring in Cassiar country. We had found old mining shacks a few times. Some of them had multiple stacks of boxes of core samples. I had some great core samples. We had even found some underground mines. There was some really fascinating finds. 

The problem is that my parents were never big on taking photos. Of anything. The family albums are very thin. Carrying a camera was an alien concept. I also picked up the habit of not taking photos either. So a lot of the unique sights that I saw through the years are undocumented.

Now I try to take photos if I find something remotely interesting. The convenience of digital allows me to scrap a lot. I am also trying to be organized enough to tag them with dates and possibly a brief caption. I do not feel the need to prove I have been to a particular place, it just makes things easier to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment