Thursday 22 August 2019

Siffleur Falls

August 18, 2019 hike to Siffleur Falls west of Nordegg, Alberta. Hiked here with a friend.

My friend and I had tried this hike a couple of years ago. We had been at a different waterfall - Crescent Falls - before coming here. The problem was we got here too late in the day and did not make it to Siffleur Falls. We kept saying that we were going to go back and make it to the falls. It might have become a running joke between us. About a week ago I suggested it and my offer was accepted.

This is a neat hike. The suspension foot bridge is close to the parking lot. The bridge crosses the North Saskatchewan River.


Next is the boardwalk through an ecologically sensitive area.


Another footbridge.


There are signs warning you that you are in bear country. Never saw one.


The river is squeezed into a narrow space. The trail is along the top. The water does look turquoise.



The first set of falls is about 4km from the parking lot.


The trail goes on from the first set of falls.


Wonderful scenery in this part of Alberta.



The second set of falls, about 2.5km from the first set. I actually was not far from the third set which was about a further 1.5km from here. Not far from the second set of falls the trail kind of fades out. Not being familiar with the area I was not going to go through brush to see how far we could get.



The weather was great and it was a fun outing. I might have to do it again. Glad I got to fulfill this with a friend. 

8 comments:

  1. Reminds me of northern Idaho. Very nice scenery you have up there. Thank you for the report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking country and a suspension bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How ruggedly beautiful! I trust you have (at the very least) bear bells and bear spray with you on such hikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I never pack anything like that. I probably should. In my experience it is rare to run across bear in the wild.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful country!
    I trust you are packing a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan Double-Action Revolver, especially if you have noticed those little bear bells in bear scat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be able to do this however you cannot pack a gun in Canada. You should be able to, you are not allowed to do it.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Well worth the hike for sure.

    ReplyDelete