Friday 22 April 2022

51.368429, -107.782823

Glamis, Saskatchewan is a ghost town. A little southeast of Glamis is this grain elevator in the middle of a field. Literally in the middle of large field with nothing around it. I tried to find some information on it on the internet but was unsuccessful.

There is a trail leading off the gravel road across the field that goes by it. I did not try the trail, that will have to wait for warmer days and drier roads. The close up shot was near the extreme range of my telephoto lens. 



7 comments:

  1. The elevator is not sitting up on a mound like it would at a railroad since it likely was moved. Nearest town with an elevator was Doual (which no longer exists) so likely moved from there. See the map at this website https://sites.rootsweb.com/~skwheat/rosetown1924.gif and note the railway diagonally fields north of this site crossing to get to Glamis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction - that should be Douai Saskatchewan, named after the Douai Plains of Vimy Ridge. The railroad can be seen in the google maps satellite view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I post something I never know what kind of reply, if any, I will get. Thanks for the comment, this is interesting and I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. I wonder what moving a building the size of that elevator would have involved back in the day. Per above info, it came a couple of kilometres, at least.

    -DW

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one deserves a return visit.

    ReplyDelete