Wednesday 22 December 2021

A Christmas note

A few people may think I am down on Christmas. Not quite true.

When I was in my grade school days I was fortunate to spend Christmas a few times at my aunt and uncle's farm north of Drayton Valley, Alberta. The food was always awesome. My aunt was a very good cook and we played card games during the day. I have fond memories of those times. My own family was never really that big on Christmas but I enjoyed getting together with relatives when we were able. Christmas with just the immediate family in those days were good. My father loved to play cards and any card game with him was entertaining.

These days nothing really goes according to plan for Christmas. I like to have things set a few weeks ahead of time. No matter how the plans are set a certain unnamed family member likes to ruin them at the last moment either by changing things or not cooperating. This has been going on for years and I have learned to live with it. Ideally I would like to have the remaining immediate family get together without any hitches in a nice setting and have a good time.

About a week before Christmas I go down my list and send an email or text to a number of people I know, and a number I barely know, and make a point to wish them a Merry Christmas. I have been doing this for years and I do this because I like to do it and I sincerely want everyone to have a memorable holiday.

3 comments:

  1. Christmas is what we make of it alright. Family members can certainly sometimes be a royal pain in the ass, so it's best to have our own traditions that they can't affect or sabotage. Enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There often seems to be one family member that insists on being a spoiler for everyone else. Personally I think Christmas is highly overrated and quite truthfully as I get older I find it's more of a downer than anything else. My enjoyment of the entire thing (beyond the obvious true reason for the celebration in the first place) comes from creating gifts for my friends and family. Beyond that, I'm always happy when it's all over with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The largest portion of my life was working in environments where few things went as planned. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Especially as most of the things we get upset about can't be remembered 20 years down the road.

    Glad tidings we bring to you and your kin. Glad tidings of Christmas, and a Happy New Year!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete