Tuesday 23 June 2020

Beaver Flat General Store

This store is nowhere near Beaver Flat, Saskatchewan. I turned east from Stewart Valley, Saskatchewan late in the afternoon on June 19 only because I had not been in that area before. I was starting to get squeezed for time to make my destination so I scrapped my plans to wander about and headed due south to Waldeck to get back on a main highway. On the gravel road to Waldeck I spotted this general store in the middle of nowhere surrounded by empty prairie. 



9 comments:

  1. A false front on a store out in the middle of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know there was (or used to be) a Beaver Flat, Saskatchewan! Evocative name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the absolute knack for finding interesting things that you aren't even looking for like old abandoned buildings and animals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beavers have flat tails, the prairie is flat...Beaver Flat sounds like a good common sense name! Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One does wonder the story behind this one. I think it's interesting that the sign seems to be in better shape than the building which led me to wonder if it might have been used as a movie set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still the original building that was used for a general store. The sign was repainted 5 or 6 years ago to make it more visible.

      Delete
  6. Beaver Flat was our general store and postoffice for my childhood and youth (born 1942). My passport names this as my birthplace. I used to ride horseback on Tuesdays and Fridays to pick up our mail and maybe bring Mother a small something for the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete