Sunday 8 March 2020

The clock in my car is the right time once again

The advance of technology has ruined some things. I used to wear a nice watch. The watch I have now I have not worn in years. Any time I need to know the time I just look at my phone. The phone keeps perfect time. If I am in a different time zone the time is automatically updated. I do not own a clock in my home since I always rely on the cell phone.

I set the clock in whatever vehicle I own once and then never bother with it again. When the time change rolls around at the start of winter I leave it where it is which is one hour out. When the time change comes in the spring it will be the right time again. Since it will be right again in a matter of months I never bother to change it.

The fun thing is to see which one of my friends or acquaintances get bent out of shape with the time on the dash being wrong. I once had a friend with me on a three hour road trip and he noticed the clock was out. He asked if I knew about it which I did. He asked if I was going to change it. I said I did not know how (I did). The car I had at that time was a 2003 Chev Impala. Loved it but it had some quirks. For example a light would show up on the dash indicating it was time to get the oil changed. To reset things to get rid of the dash light once  you changed the oil you had to go through the radio controls to achieve that task. I wonder how they came up with that one. I do not recall if the clock was an easy fix.

I watched my friend as he sat in the passenger seat where the clock issue began to incrementally eat away at him over time. He got more agitated as time wore on. Then he broke. He grabbed his phone and did an internet search on how to reset the clock. After a few attempts he was triumphant. The amusing thing was this was the second person to have this reaction. Years before I had someone else get upset and change the time on a dash clock on me on a different car which I believe was a Dodge Colt, a much easier clock change. Both times after they left I changed the clock back.

I think this is one of those methods for finding out which people you know are too tightly wrapped.

6 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha, I used to do that too -- never change my car's clock. It was always too complicated to figure out how to do it. But then, a couple of years ago, I discovered how easy it was to change the clock in my Toyota Yaris and now I do change it with the seasons. I only have to push one button! One!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travelling back and forth to Saskatchewan I change the clock in my car often. Once I set it forward instead of backwards...made it home in record time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once read that you can judge the size of the person by the size of the things that upset them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, you are bad to the bone, but funny!
    I forgot to change my clocks that are manual last night. Missed Mass this morning because of it! (and partly because I stayed up til 3AM reading)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having to change clock times is the work of the devil if you ask me. Really do wish they'd leave it either one way or the other and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete