Monday 11 April 2016

Farming Valley School March 12, 2016

This is an exciting find for me. I was out with my friend on a day long road trip and he showed this to me. This one room schoolhouse is just a little northwest of Oyen, Alberta.



This is a very interesting design. It seems "shortened", the building looks like it was meant to be longer. 


The bell tower has an exaggerated size to it looking out of proportion to the building. I would love to know what happened to the bell.



This sits on what is now private land. You can see the hay bales and steel granaries. The only thing missing is cattle. The school has such a fantastic unusual look to it. I just love running across these. I wish more of these existed.




5 comments:

  1. What a neat old building. It does look a bit off kilter, doesn't it. I wonder, too, what happened to the bell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photographs, BW! Still looks as if some of the original glass windows are still there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's one almost identical to this on your way out to Byemoor, AB. It no longer has a tower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you possibly thinking of Ozark School?

      Delete