Wednesday 13 February 2019

The joys of trying to get smarter

I was off at a paid training session on Monday and Tuesday in Red Deer, Alberta for my job. I signed up for this because I do want to learn how I can do things better. I arrived Sunday afternoon at the hotel. It is about a ninety minute drive from where I live.

We are in a cold snap in Alberta. My hotel room was a bit cold. I had to keep bumping up the heat until it was warm enough to sleep. I got blasted awake at midnight because some prior occupant of my room set the alarm for that time. That was the first night.

The class was fine. I learned a few things. Most of it was stuff that I had taken before. We were in a conference room in the hotel and it was slightly chilly.

The next night the alarm went off at midnight again. I was sure that I had turned it off the last time. I would have unplugged it and thrown it across the room but there is a small cable running from a small alarm clock to the wall outlet and I would have had to move furniture to get at it. It escaped my wrath for the time being. Then at 5:40am the fire alarm went off. I know the exact time because I checked my phone. I scrambled to turn on the bedside light and get my clothes on and my coat in case there was an actual fire and I had be outside. Just as I was about to put my  hand on the doorknob the fire alarm stopped. I was not going to be able to get more sleep after this.

After breakfast I lugged my stuff into my car and turned the key. It slightly protested then started. I sat in a freezing cold car for twenty minutes to let it run. I have two keys for it but you cannot lock it while it is running. That task completed, I then checked out as I did not want to have anything to do with this place again. Off to class in the conference room. They do feed you at these things, sandwiches, coffee or tea, and desserts that have no discernible taste. If I ever go to another one of these events I think I will pay for a different hotel where I can get some warmth and decent sleep.

3 comments:

  1. That's the kind of place MOST companies choose - CHEAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when hotel alarm clocks go off! I have learned from bitter experience to always check them before bed time and turn them off. But once someone had set an alarm via the TV and it woke me up at some ungodly hour by coming on full blast! Scared the bejesus out of me.

    You may want to consider getting a Command Start for your car so you can warm it up from the comfort of inside the house. It's God's gift to Canadians. I've had one in every vehicle I've owned since forever, that's how much I love not freezing my butt off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another helpful hint, BW: ALWAYS book your own flights if you can.

    ReplyDelete