Thursday 13 August 2015

Mayerthorpe, Alberta May 16, 2015

I wrote, scheduled, and pulled this post many times. I wanted to say more about it, I just could not find a way to make it work to my satisfaction. So I stripped everything down. 

On March 3, 2005 James Roszko ambushed and killed four members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police near Mayerthorpe, Alberta. It truly was one of those shocking events in Canada. James Roszko was wounded by another member of the force and after retreating shot himself. It was the worst one-day loss of life for the RCMP and the worst multiple-officer killing in modern Canadian history.

A memorial and park commemorating them stands at Mayerthorpe, Alberta across from the police station. 



The memorial building.


Their portraits hang inside the building.


On the other side are statues of the four members. It is a moving sight.


1 comment: