Saturday 23 March 2024

Encounters with nurses

A lot of the nurses have been great. Some others have been horrible.

They like to come to your room at various times and roll you. Basically move you into different positions so you do not develop sores. First moving you onto one side, then the other, then a final reposition. I now have just enough mobility that I now largely escape this. If I get a sponge bath or sheets changed I still get rolled.

After my last surgery that was over eight hours my pain was off the charts when I woke up. You get enough painkillers pumped into your system the pain will subside or the amount of medication will kill you.

The pain became tolerable. Then some hours later four nurses came to roll me. I asked them not to. They did it anyway. They roll you on one side, then the other, then reposition you. They started moving me and I started literally screaming from the pain. They stopped and the nurse in charge of this venture told me that it was not going to help them if I was going to act like that. I begged them to stop hurting me and I could not hold it together. The circumstances I was in and the utter cruelty of that comment broke me. Thankfully they left me alone. That was in ICU and I was transferred out after a few days and I no longer had to be subjected to them. I was in too much of a mess to complain.

Later on I had an encounter with a couple of nurses who did not treat that well when I needed help. I reported them and got an apology. Otherwise the care has been fine. 

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you encountered some insensitive nurses who should have known better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hank in there...things are getting better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think nurses sometimes deal with so much and end up becoming immune to witnessing pain and lose their compassion. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well there's a very fine line between cruel kindness and personal limits and its different for everyone. Ask no quarter unless you absolutely need it, and don't YOU push yourself too hard either.

    Are you still going to go exploring when you get out, BW?

    ReplyDelete