Sunday 29 October 2023

Sunday morning

I had Friday off. I drove to Medicine Hat, Alberta to meet up with a friend. Saturday morning I found out my mother’s sister, otherwise known as my aunt, died early Saturday morning.

I spent some time in the Medicine Hat area with my friend and had a great visit. We met up for dinner later on. The photo expedition was a bit of a disappointment but the visit itself more than made up for it. After dinner I headed back home and cut my trip short so I could visit mom today. I got home just after midnight.

My father came from a family of six children. All of them have been gone for years. Mom came from a family of four children. Now there are two. As you get older you lose more people along the way.

She was my favourite aunt. She died at eighty-six ravaged by dementia knowing and not knowing who she was and who others were and no longer able to walk. May she rest in peace.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your aunt. Yes, it's hard to watch the older generations dwindle away. It will happen to ours soon enough as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Losing an elder is always tough, even more so to have watched them suffer from dementia. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your aunt but she certainly led a long life and I'm sure you have wonderful memories of her. I'm also sure, if given a choice, she wouldn't have wanted to live with dementia.

    ReplyDelete