Wednesday 11 October 2023

No bears sighted

A short trip was taken to the West Kootenay area of British Columbia recently. Last Friday I drove from Kaslo to Gerrard and back. Kokanee salmon, an entirely freshwater fish, spawn at this time of year. You can see them in many places in the Lardeau River along the route I drove.
 
My thoughts were that with fish spawning there should be a very good chance of spotting bears. In Kaslo there are signs up warning you of bears in the area.

It was a slow drive up and down the valley. I did not spot a single bear. Back in Kaslo I stopped at the Kaslo Hotel since they carry a variety of local craft beer and that is a good consolation prize. I highly recommend stopping here, the beer is damn good. I mentioned to the woman who served me that I was on the lookout for bears. She mentioned that one was sleeping in her driveway the last two nights.

On the plus side, there was beer and the food was good.




2 comments:

  1. Bears/beers -- only one letter difference, so it's good to settle for either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trip was worthwile on two fronts - seeing the salmon AND the beer. Funny that there were no bears though.

    ReplyDelete