I used to see a lot of beehive burners many years ago in British Columbia. They were used by sawmills to burn off wood waste. They got phased out years ago due to environmental and health concerns. When they did operate they were in use twenty-four hours a day and you could see red sparks out the top at night. The top had kind of a metal mesh dome if I remember it right.
This is a former beehive burner at Malakwa, British Columbia that I guess became some kind of diner it the past. It is vacant and up for sale.

I remember (from growing up in a small town) when people just regularly burned their garbage too. That was one of my little household jobs as a kid -- to get the matches and go burn the garbage in the barrel. Man, those were the days, eh?
ReplyDeleteIt seemed every inlet and backwater had one of these on the coast of North Carolina. The screen at the top was domed and matched the countour. They were paper mills. Yes, they were downright smelly on some days.
ReplyDeleteOh, they were much larger and taller than shown here. Made of wood, of course.
ReplyDeleteI've never seen one of these and wouldn't have known their use. Hopefully someone buys it and turns it into something, rather than see it rot away.
ReplyDelete