Thursday 27 October 2022

You cannot hold back time . . .

I usually visit my mother on Friday after work and leave the next day. This time I had phoned her to tell her I was overly tired and would see her Saturday morning.

Saturday morning I stopped at a restaurant and got breakfast to go for the two of us. Someone was moving out of her building. Most of the people in her building know me so I walked in the open door and took the elevator to her floor. I discovered her in her bedroom on the floor. with the phone off the hook. She had fallen the prior evening.

I helped her up and asked if she was okay. She seemed to be fine. To be on the safe side I called an ambulance. The paramedics were great. She was taken to the hospital. I asked if I should go right away and they told be to wait for a few hours until she was processed. I spent the time cleaning up her place. I later found out she had fallen twice the night before. A  neighbour came over an helped her up but failed to pick up and hang up the phone that was knocked onto the floor when she fell. When she fell in the bedroom the second time she could not phone on the bedroom phone as the living room phone was not hung up.

Once I got to the hospital I found out that she had a broken hip. Drayton Valley hospital sends those cases to Edmonton or Red Deer depending on availability. I found out that she was going to Red Deer much later in the day. She arrived there at about eleven in the evening. It took that long to get transport.

I visited mom on Sunday in Red Deer where I was told she did not have a broken hip. She would eventually be sent back for rehabilitation (I later found out on Monday morning that her hip was fractured).

I worked Monday. Busy with work and making phone calls to her health care services contact (mom gets visits three times a week from health services), relatives, her cleaning lady, and people in her building. I think I covered all the bases.

Not sure what is happening in the immediate future. I am waiting for updates and more information. Obviously blog posts are not a priority.

10 comments:

  1. Prayers for your mother and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear this bad news. I hope your Mom is able to return to independent living after her fractured hip heals. When that happened with my Mom, I got her one of those Lifeline Alert systems so she could call her contact for help if she fell again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your mother. Thanks for keeping us informed. Postings can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope rehab is very successful and she is soon mending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that must have been scary for her - and for you. Hoping the best for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no - that's so unfortunate and must have been so frightening for your Mom to be lying there wondering when someone would come. She needs one of those Lifeline necklaces and should wear it night and day so she can call for help. We had one for my dad and it gives everyone peace of mind.
    Will be thinking of her - and you - and hoping that she gets the medical help she needs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I hope she recovers soon without issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going through the same drama over here, BW. Best of luck, and a speedy recovery for your mom...

    ReplyDelete