Friday 7 June 2019

An update . . .

I do not divulge too much about my personal life on this blog as I do not consider this to be that kind of blog. I like this blog to be about other things. Personal things do sneak in from time to time. After my last post I believe I should put up some kind of explanation for the break. People who read this blog may want to know and are likely genuinely curious.


Early last Sunday the remaining parental unit, otherwise known as mom, had a stroke. She woke up not being able to move her side. She was taken by ambulance from where she lives, about an hour west of Edmonton, straight to a hospital in Edmonton. My aunt who lives in the same apartment style condo complex as my mother called the paramedics and then called me about eight that morning to tell me mom was on her way to the hospital.


I have been at the hospital off and on since Sunday morning. She was moved out of Emergency to a ward where she has a room to herself. There is no paralysis, she can move all of her limbs. She is weak on her left side and she is not able to stand on her own. Typical hospital stuff, a bunch of tests were done, and will be done, and you wait around for any meaningful news. This means that I know nothing much that is concrete and I have no idea how long she will be in the hospital. Mom appears to be in good spirits. She may be released in the near future and spend some time in rehabilitation before going home. Time will tell.

My aunt went ahead and set up a phone in her room. The phone is good for incoming calls only which is all she needs. I set her up with a television the day before yesterday. Visiting her the prior evening I think the television might be more popular than my presence. I have been juggling my job, visiting the hospital, and trying to answer multiple inquiries from her friends and relatives. I will have to visit her condo and check her mail and make sure her bills are paid. I have been a little busy and road trips might will be low priority for now. Posts may be infrequent.

I got the motorcycle delivered to my door last night. The whole thing was not handled to my satisfaction. Everything "looks" fine. The delivery guy apologized for the whole thing and I politely told him that it was not him who should be apologizing. He had nothing to do with it. Responsibility rests higher up and they are clearly not interested in contacting me. I am kind or dropping the matter since I have more important problems at the moment. 

9 comments:

  1. Sorry about your Mom & I hope that works out. She is lucky to have a son that cares this much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too hope your mother recovers completely. I agree with Rob that she is fortunate to have such a loving and caring son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too hope your mother recovers completely. I agree with Rob that she is fortunate to have such a loving and caring son.

    Dale Redekopp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care of the family FIRST. This reader will be here when your world gets better. Thank you for letting us know what the emergency was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your Mom's stroke. Glad she will be getting rehab because that can really help. Yes, your life will be topsy-turvy for a little while but she is in good hands. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to read about your mother. Hang in there and take care of business, we will be here when you get a chance t.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As the Mom to several adult children, I can tell you that in tough times, having her children close means the world. You are a good son. Praying for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I echo what others have said - prayers and good wishes to both your for your Mom and for you. Take all the time you need.

    ReplyDelete