Wednesday 5 April 2017

Caveat emptor

I had my tires replaced on the motorcycle last year just before I put it into storage. This was at a well known dealership in Calgary. When I went to pay the bill the guy in the shop told me that I needed brakes as I had hardly any brake pads left. I advised him new brakes could wait for spring.

I took the bike into my local shop and asked them to look at the brakes. I really do not want to take any chances with motorcycle brakes. I asked them to book me in if they needed to be replaced. The mechanic took an up close and personal look. It turns out I have lots of usage left on my brakes and there is no need to get them replaced. 

It never hurts to get a second opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Ask the second mechanic to show you what he looked at, some of this stuff is not hard once you know what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I always get a 2nd opinion... several times I've had repair people try to scam me on household issues... one told me I needed a whole new electrical breaker box... had 2 more electricians look at it and both informed me there was nothing wrong with it. Last week had a plumber tell me I needed a new hot water heater for about $2K ... 2nd opinion plumber can make a repair to it for $200... going with the 2nd guy. Glad you didn't get scammed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. due diligence on my part has saved me a bunch, on more than one occasion. Good on you for practicing the same.

    ReplyDelete