Monday 27 June 2016

Spaca Moskalyk Church

I had read about this place and I really wanted to see it in person. It is just a little east of Mundare, Alberta on a country road. It is an abandoned Ukrainian Catholic Church. The grounds are well maintained and the cemetery is still used. There have been discussions about restoring it. Any restoration is unlikely, there is just too much that would have to be done. I understand the interior may not be safe.

I was here on June 18, 2016 and this is an amazing sight. This is a multi-picture post and I am going to let the photos speak for themselves.






It is a quirk of these types of churches that the bell tower is separate from the church.












8 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful church! Maybe a couple of historical societies can get together and repair any damage. It would be a shame to lose that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of items online. At one point I think they were looking at demolishing it.

      Delete
  2. What Chickenmom said. It is such a spectacular building. I can only imagine how it looked when it was still in use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! I so want to see inside. But I get it. Can you imagine what fun the architect had designing that? How absolutely gorgeous it must have been? Spectacular! Still the grounds are so lovingly maintained...I do hope they can form some kind of collective to restore this beauty! Great find BW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see the inside, bigdoer.com has photos of the inside. After I read their post on this church I really wanted to see this spot.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful church! I've always wondered why Ukrainian bell towers are separate from the church. I understand that they originally served double duty as watchtowers for their villages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be. I will have to track someone down and get an answer to this. You do get some interesting architecture without a bell tower in the church.

      Delete
  5. It sure is pretty. I to would like to know what the inside look like.
    There a Antiochain Orthodox church by us and sort of got same architecture.

    Stop in from the Rat. If you fine stop on by for cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete