Monday 6 June 2016

Pakowki Cemetery May 14, 2016

This is west of Manyberries, Alberta. Take Highway 867 south of Orion, Alberta (which is practically a ghost town), then west on Township Road 52, then north on Range Road 73. The road will dead end and right at the end is the Pakowki Cemetery. There once was a town called Pakowki and there is nothing left of it. I do not know where the original town stood.



This is a remote cemetery and it is still being used. That was a bit of a surprise. The marker below lists the people interred here.


This is a unique marker.




Pasture just beyond the fence.


Some of it is a little overgrown. I think it makes more appealing.




3 comments:

  1. It is astounding to me that an entire town can just disappear leaving only the cemetery. When I have walked through old cemeteries, I have wondered about the lives of the people buried there. Some likely died of old age, but what happened to the others - the young. Stories we will never hear, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the grasses and the foliage is greening up...I also like the variety of markers in this one, much more character. The welded one...makes me wonder, did a loved one with little or no money, or just a sense of such loss make it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of the old markers here in Jersey show the name, the years born and died, the total month and days. Sometime a poem is on them, too. The children's graves are the saddest.

    ReplyDelete