Sunday 8 November 2015

Old bathhouse at Fairmont Hot Springs

My walk around Fairmont on October 24, 2015. This is how they used to enjoy the hot springs in years gone by. The stone bathhouse is higher up on the mountain overlooking the lodge. It is made of stone and has three separate rooms. 



Each room has a bath shaped depression in the floor.


Just past the bathhouse is an area built for weddings and receptions. You can see the accumulation of deposited minerals through the years from the hot springs.


Some hot water coming up through the rock. I am not sure exactly where the main hot springs come from. There is no sulpher smell. The hot springs here are hot. I have been to Radium Hot Springs which is about half an hour north on the highway and the water is not as hot as it is here. There are other hot springs through the Kootenay region. Where I lived in Sparwood, British Columbia there was a well known sulpher springs in the woods north of town. You could smell the springs. They were not very big and the ground was too swampy to get any use out of them.



Great spot for events with a great view.


The lodge looking down from the old bathhouse.


3 comments:

  1. Do you know if the hotel was pet-friendly, BW? I have two great big four legged hoople heads that I like to travel with and that looks like it might be a great mini-holiday...

    I would love to retire to Sparwood...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew. I saw no one with dogs there.

      I liked Sparwood, I might pick the Crowsnest instead.

      Delete
  2. Can't think of a better way to spend the day than to sit in a warm pool looking at those mountains. It must be lovely!

    ReplyDelete