Thursday 15 October 2015

School Marker at Rocky Rapids, Alberta

My father attended this school. He hated school and he never did show me where the site of the school was. There were likely a few unpleasant memories I guess. The marker is relatively recent. My father grew up on a farm about two or three miles from here, depending on the route. He actually did ride a horse to school. I think the farm is now owned by a cousin, it was owned by my father's brother.

Dad completed Grade Nine and part of Grade Ten. He told me that he was awarded Grade Ten. Years later I am still not sure how that works. My father was a smart person however for various reasons he could not wait to leave school, and home as well, for that matter. He never really talked about it but I think he regretted not sticking with it to complete his schooling. 

Different times.

Rocky Rapids, Alberta October 4, 2015

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes being "book smart" doesn't always mean you'll succeed in life. Worked with a bunch of them through the years and most couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag.

    ReplyDelete