Tuesday 13 October 2015

How I spent my summer

Other than work, I took the initiative to grab the opportunities to get out and explore. I started the spring with a new set of motorcycle tires and wore them out by the time September appeared. I was determined this year to make up for years past where I was too busy to get out and experience things. The trusty bike racked up just over 20,000 kilometres this year.

I managed to ride my motorcycle to High Level in far northern Alberta. I rode as Far East as Empress, Alberta and as far west as Nakusp, British Columbia and a short trip south into Montana. I hiked in to two waterfalls and completed my list of ferry visits. I kept the trips cheap to do more with less. Along the way I helped my cousin get her motorcycle license. 

I have seen some interesting sights and strengthened some friendships and met a few people. There are more than a few destinations I did not get to. I have a few ideas for trips next year. Looking back it worked out quite well and I have no regrets. If nothing else, I would have loved to cram more living into my summer. 

My point to all of this is that I did this on a shoestring budget. A little bit of planning and some sacrifice and practically anyone can get out and enjoy themselves.

Whatever you do, never let your tires get this bad. I replaced them as soon as I noticed this level of wear.


7 comments:

  1. I've been reading your blog for a while now... and you're doing everything I've wanted to do: visit every Alberta ferry (only the Bleriot Ferry so far, back in August), check out all the old railroad towns, see all the rest of the province!

    Thanks for all these great posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to receive comments like this. Thank you for commenting and reading this blog.

      Delete
  2. Good work, BW. Fact is, this is the way we're SUPPOSED to live. Sadly I spent this summer making the expected excuses to NOT do what you have done.

    Suzuki makes great machines.

    Next year...next year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you have a bike. If you want to meet up sometime for a ride drop me a line.

      Delete
  3. Look at it this way, you got every bit of your money's worth out of those tires. And it's so good to get nice new tires on your machine after doing such a good job wearing out the old ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not complaining. If anything I overdid it. No regrets. Through this blog and some other sites I may have some people to meet up on a trip or two next year.

      Delete
  4. If you ever make it to Joisey... I still have my leathers.....

    ReplyDelete