Thursday 9 May 2024

Upon review

Still alive and feeling good. Except for my legs and not being able to walk I otherwise feel too healthy to be here.

That is the problem with me. I feel too optimistic in regards to getting out of rehabilitation and going home. A few days ago I was heading back to my room after physiotherapy and crossed paths with the occupational therapist. I asked if he had a few moments and he took the time to talk.

He showed me my most recent set of x-rays done about five weeks ago. I have more metal in me than I thought. Basically both femurs are held together by a long pieces of metal, screws, and pins. If I was able to get an image I would post it. It was a good talk and I got a few ideas of what to expect.

I needed to see that to bring me down to earth. I needed to be reminded how badly my legs were injured and that if I end up being in the hospital for longer than I expected there is a good reason for it. For some reason weeks ago I thought I would be out of the hospital in three months. That is not realistic. I am more damaged than the average person with a broken leg. I just wish that a doctor would have set me straight ages ago. 

It is hard to see progress some days in physiotherapy. I cannot put any weight to bear on my legs. Leg exercises consist of moving my legs sides to side, pulling my heels toward me to stretch my knees, moving my ankles, that sort of thing. Some days my body does not want to cooperate and it feels like I never made any progress. Some days my hips are in pain, my knees are in pain, and I can hardly move. It is easy to get mad at yourself because you do not see anything getting better. I had to look at the photos of myself just after the accident and surprised I lived. Then I look at myself now and there is a massive difference. Everything will take time.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, physio and rehab are slow processes but hopefully yours will pay off well in the long term. One day at a time, as they say. I have another friend whose leg bones are basically held together with metal rods and screws and she gets around just fine. Horrible scars on her legs, of course, but who cares about that. So unimportant in the big scheme of things. Hang in there, BW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please be patient and believe that it will get better but it is a LOT of work. My time in rehab in Nam was longer and tougher mentally than in reality for the damage done. But I had what I would call a 98% total physical recovery. So good in fact they were able to send me back into combat with no restrictions. So hang in there and plan your new life you have coming. You will not be the same person after recovery, you will be better in many ways is what I finally realized in my case. Smile and be happy you are still alive to continue your great times ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being patient is hard. You will get there! I imagine that wheelchair will be in your life a while longer, and hope once you can start weight bearing that after you get thru the new pain that will involve and you getting somewhat steady that you can get home and continue the process in the comforts of home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is positive sounding blog! Hang in there...one day at a time and after enough of those days you'll be walking to your ride to go look for bales to take pictures of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As other commenters have said - hang in there. Some days will be a lot harder than others I'm sure. Seeing those x-rays, distressing as that must have been, helps you to understand the reason that you'll be there for awhile yet. Yes, one day at a time - sometimes one hour at a time.

    ReplyDelete