Sunday 12 May 2024

Stuff my roommate says

This happened this morning.

I am in a shared room. Nurse comes in to do the morning check on my roommate. I have a different nurse assigned to me. My nurse arrived later to check my vitals.

My roommate was previously in a hospital in northern Alberta. He is a diabetic with a number of other issues. He is also a heavy smoker and recently had a bout with pneumonia. He disappears hours at a time hanging out in the smoking area outside. He looks rough.

The nurse taking his vitals was not his usual nurse. There are some staffing issues this morning that they are getting ironed out. My roommate has some unpleasant coughing episodes every day. He mentioned he was coughing up some blood. The nurse asked how long this was going on and he said it was a few months. The nurse then asked if he mentioned it to the doctor here. He said no but he mentioned it to the doctor at the prior hospital. She then asked him what the other doctor told him. 

“He told me to quit smoking.”

I started laughing. I could not help myself.

4 comments:

  1. We are all our own worst enemies, aren't we.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I had to laugh too!
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. They walk among us. Thank you for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great postings! I can relate to this one. I did a cold turkey on my 70th birthday after over 50 years of smoking. Keeping my fingers crossed for you for the 15th.

    ReplyDelete