Thursday 20 July 2017

St. Wolodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Church

This spot was unique. This church and cemetery is truly remote. It is west of Cappon, Alberta and there really is not much at Cappon, Alberta. I noticed this on a county map and thought I would see it in person if I was ever in the area. I happened to be in the area on July 16, 2017.

This is not one of the regular range roads. The church is a distant spec on the horizon just on the right of this road. This view is due north.


This is the church.


I found out the church was covered in metal to protect it some years ago. I could not find anyone who could tell me if it was still in use.


This sign is up against the side of the church. This is unique since you see a lot, and I mean a lot, of eastern European churches in the northern part of Alberta. You do not see many in southern Alberta.




What amazed me is that the cemetery has some recent headstones. I did not cross the fence onto the church grounds. I could see in the distance that a few of the markers were newer. It is a small cemetery. There is absolutely nothing nearby except open prairie in all directions.

8 comments:

  1. Neat find! Without the sign I wouldn't even think it was a church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In person you would not know it was a church unless you saw the sign.

      Delete
  2. It may not look pretty but the metal roof and siding will protect it from the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm never lonely on the open prairie. There is much to see & hear there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful place to plant your bones. I bet the stars at night are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look under "plain" in the dictionary and this place is pictured. It's the least church looking church I've ever seen (was there in fall 2016), especially considering Orthodox ones are often quite elaborate. This one breaks the mould. Makes one wonder what's underneath. The cemetery's nice though. Yes, a bit hard to find and to get to. The BIGDoer-mobile is an honourary 4x4 though, so no biggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have a 4x4 either. A few people have been a bit surprised at some of the places I have driven to in a car.

      Delete
  6. My grandfather was born at Cappon Alberta. In the early 1920's there was a few eastern European (ukranian) families in the area. Mine being one of them. There was a small school near by that I visited with my grandfather in the 90's thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete