Wednesday 5 July 2017

Roadtrippin'

Last weekend was a long weekend for me. July 1 is Canada Day and it is a statutory holiday. Where I work we were took Monday off to make it a long weekend. I might have crammed too much into my time off.

On Friday night I drove out to Kindersley, Saskatchewan to stay overnight. When I was checking in the nice lady at the front desk told me there was a complimentary breakfast from 5:30am to 9:00am. I told her there was no way I was going to be up to get breakfast at 5:30am.

The next morning my eyes popped open at 4:30am. I was not able to get back to sleep. So much for that plan. I checked out, grabbed some coffee, and hit the road. This was going to be my time to hit up some places in Saskatchewan that were on my list. I managed to get to Sovereign, Bounty, Bents, Feudal, Arelee, and Paynton as well as a few more.

I made one last stop at Bresaylor, Saskatchewan to see an old church there. It was about 7:00pm and I had a problem. I accomplished what I wanted to do in one day that I thought was going to take two days. I had not planned anything past this point. I told myself that I could likely make it to Edmonton. I took up that challenge with myself and flagrantly disobeyed the speed limit to Edmonton where I spent the night. I must have done about 900km that day.

The next day I accomplished very little and squeezed in a visit to take mom out for dinner before heading home.

I had planned to be gone all three days and there I was on Monday morning at home with the day off. The weather was too nice to hang around so I took the motorcycle out to Lake Louise for the day. Lake Louise was crowded and I did not get to Morraine Lake due to the traffic. I did get to ride the motorcycle in peak summer weather, stop in Canmore on the way back where a friend picked up the tab for dinner and beer, and arrived home late in the day. I have no complaints. I am a little tired this week.

Below is a footbridge crossing the Bow River at Lake Louise, Alberta on July 3, 2017.


1 comment:

  1. When I was a kid I'd give my dad a hard time about getting up so early in the morning. He'd say "Just you wait". Prophetic words if ever there were any.

    ReplyDelete