Friday 16 August 2019

Porter Lake School 1928 - 1952

This is an old schoolhouse in rural Alberta somewhat close to Edgerton, Alberta. The last time I was here was last winter and it was freezing cold. It looks a lot better in the summer.


They is one of the better rural schools. A lot of them were small and not well built. It was likely a community centre after it ceased being a school. At one time there must have been a lot of children in the area to warrant a school this size. 




You can get in the school. There are some chairs and some old stools as well as an old piano and stove. The structure seemed safe enough. I thought about checking out the basement and passed on that. When I was outside again I noticed the basement walls were starting to bow so not going into the basement was a good idea.



I have a weakness for window photos.

8 comments:

  1. A stout sign, ought to last longer than the school house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well presented and photographed as usual. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised some old antiques dealer hasn't got that stove yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Debra, that stove is much sot after in some places...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice find, BW!!!

    Hope your mom is doing well too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I imagine that building not only served as a school but also as a community centre. No doubt there were lots of dances and card parties, and maybe the odd political meeting too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Checked out the school today and I am sad to report the last two years have not been kind to this school. All of the windows have been smashed out and it appears to have suffered a lot of vandalism. You got to see it at a good time. What a shame. :(

    ReplyDelete