Wednesday 21 August 2019

A Rather Unusual Barn


I remember seeing this barn from the nearby highway. It stands tall enough that it pierces the horizon, leaving a silhouette that, at a distance, could be mistaken for a grain elevator. Closer investigation showed that it was in fact a barn, or perhaps a granary.

I drove up the "grid road", one of many that lay across Manitoba in one mile increments. I remember that it was heavily rutted, and I drove my car with care to avoid a wheel falling into the rut and bottoming the car out. I went as far as I dared drive, then took my photo and left.

This is near Brunkild, Manitoba.

- Steve Boyko

4 comments:

  1. Looks more like a granary, than a barn to me, but interesting either way. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those every mile grid roads? We called them Township roads in Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an odd one alright. Could the design be Mennonite heritage related? It's in the Mennonite Bible Belt south of Winnipeg, after all.

    ReplyDelete