Sunday 15 April 2018

White Valley Lutheran Church and Cemetery

I stayed the night in Eastend, Saskatchewan and being an early riser, headed straight to Charlie's Cafe for breakfast just as the sun was rising.  I struck up a conversation with the fellow sitting next to me at the counter and mentioned I was heading out to White Valley Church and Cemetery to take a few photos.  As it turned out he was one of the volunteer caretakers at the cemetery. Small world.



This lovely old church sits out on the open prairie in southwestern Saskatchewan. The associated cemetery is a little further down White Valley Road. 



From the Saskatchewan History & Folklore plaque mounted at the church site:

"The White Valley Lutheran Congregation was organized in 1911 with fourteen charter members.  Services were held in Rhodes School until 1928 when the church was built.  In 1983 it was declared a heritage building.  Originally part of the Frontier Parish, it is now in the Eastend Parish.  Throughout its eighty year history, twenty-four pastors and three lay ministers have served.

Thanks be to God for this heritage.

Psalm 32:12 'Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people whom He has chosen for His heritage."



11 comments:

  1. a chance meeting is often the best...
    Beautiful church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brig. I enjoy meeting the locals on my road trips.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The photos were taken in late September of 2017...just a few days before the first big snowfall of the year.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is! In my opinion it's the best kept country church in the area. Thanks for the comment, Debra.

      Delete
    2. I have been close to this place twice and missed it each time.

      Delete
    3. If definitely falls into the "must see" category.

      Delete
  4. I'm from there ... well sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just old enough to remember being in church services here in the mid-seventies, with my father preaching. I remember the kind people in and around Eastend and a sense of community. I'm glad to see the building has been kept in good repair.

    ReplyDelete