Friday 20 April 2018

McConnell, Manitoba

Most of McConnell, Manitoba in one photo
The ghost town of McConnell, Manitoba is a typical Prairie story. The town came to being with the arrival of the railway in 1911, and the town disappeared when the railway closed in 1978.

Today, there are two buildings, two grain elevators and a few small farm buildings with some cows in the area.

The town was never very large - not much more than a dozen buildings. The school building served the area until 1967, and the remaining students went to nearby towns for their education. The building served as a community centre for a short time until the town was deserted.

Former school in McConnell, Manitoba
The town church was used as a residence for some time.

Former church in McConnell, Manitoba
There are two grain elevators in McConnell, former Manitoba Pool elevators along the railway right-of-way.

Grain elevators in McConnell
More on McConnell's grain elevators.

Steve Boyko

6 comments:

  1. I looked up McConnell on a map and discovered it's between Shoal Lake and Hamiota. I grew up in southwestern Manitoba but I must confess, I've never even heard of it before. Guess nobody I ever knew lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the church, it looked like a church but it was just different enough. Maybe it was the little porch off the upstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying your prairie photos. My mother was born in Manitoba in 1913 and went to school in Daysville. Her family came to Australia in about 1923. It is wonderful to see your photos as it gives me a connection to her childhood. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to have Steve provide the occasional Manitoba post.

      Delete
  4. Wow, great photos! Love that church and of course the school! Nice post Steve!

    ReplyDelete