Friday 27 January 2017

Sometimes I just get frosted in the morning

One of the irritating things about winter is having to scrape your windshield. I drove up to see my mother on January 21, 2017 and woke up the next day to this. Ice fog with low visibility and a layer of ice on the car. Most of the time a scraper will easily peel off the frost on your windshield. There are times like this where a layer of ice was welded to my windshield and it was not coming off without some serious persuasion. The KIA I drive does not have one of those Canadian essentials: a good heater. I fired up the KIA and let the anaemic defrosting process get to work. At least I was not in a hurry as patience is not one of my stronger qualities.

As an aside, in my high school days I worked after class at a service station. One nasty cold winter day I had someone pull up in a car to get gas. As he waited he produced an ice scraper and was scraping the inside of his windshield as parts of it were iced over. I have yet to see that again. I do not even know how he managed that.

Every year before winter strikes I ensure a few essentials are kept in the car. Spare gloves, toque, and a sturdy ice sraper/brush. I say it should be sturdy as sometimes I have had to brush a foot of snow off my car from an overnight snowfall. Every few years I end up buying a new snow brush as I find they break over time.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the dreaded scraper.

    I have had to scrape the interior of my windshield many times. Get in the car with a bunch of snow, run the heater on high, then shut it down for the night. The humid air inside condenses on the inside of the windows (sometimes the rear view mirror) and voila - frost on the inside. They say running the A/C in winter helps because it gets some of the humidity out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A spray bottle of washer fluid mixed 50/50 with methanol to spray on the windshield works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At work, I'll park with my rear windows open a crack (1/8" to 1/4"), so that interior temp/humidity matches the outside.

    ReplyDelete