Wednesday 4 January 2017

Holy Ascension Orthodox Church Wasel

I spent January 1, 2017 travelling the rural areas and taking photos. I thought it was a great way to start the year. I was going to pass this by as it looked ordinary. I had second thoughts and got out to take a closer look. I am glad I did. It was well worth trudging through snow drifts and freezing temperatures to visit this place. It is a simple Orthodox church in a very rural area south of Vilna, Alberta. 



It looks abandoned. I think it is just not in use. There are blinds in the windows and the area looks like it is well cared for. It is on a bit of a hill and you can see it from miles away. The small building is the bell building. Churches of this type had the bell separate from the church. I have yet to find out why the bell was in a separate building.








I had to stop taking photos at this point. My fingers were getting quite numb from the cold.

5 comments:

  1. These Orthodox Churches are favourite of mine. Can't pass one by without stopping. Meaning, if I'm in the Edmonton area, I've there for a while. Looks like you got the bug too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you stopped....very cool place!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A spectacular find - set in some mighty fine photography BW! I love how the setting sun and blue sky gives way to the night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures... very serene...and from what I can tell very cold. Don't know how you do it... I'm such a wimp anymore where cold is concerned.

    ReplyDelete