Saturday 19 November 2016

North Bench School November 11, 2016

I was actually looking to see what was in Ravenscrag which is a ghost town in Saskatchewan. Unfortunately the town has been taken over by a farming operation. There are old buildings with a lot of farm equipment parked all over the place. No practical way to get any pictures. No matter, whoever owns the land should be able to use it how they want. The nearby cemetery is on private land with signs saying "No Trespassing" and "No Access to Cemetery". 


I heard there was an old school just a few miles north so I took a chance on finding it. I took photos from the road so I did not get an up close look. The sign says it operated from 1920 to 1956. A lot of rural schools in Saskatchewan were brick and this one should last for a few years yet. 



3 comments:

  1. There was a schoolhouse just like this one near where I grew up. When the rural schools in Minnesota were closed, it was sold. The new owners turned it into a home, but kept the look of a school intact. They even saved the old fashioned playground equipment. I always thought it would be a nice place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ravenscrag-what a great name. Interesting geologically, too.

    I think that's a word- geologically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I wish there were more brick ones around....and not the faux brick asphalt stuff that looks terrible but I'm sure was a cheap fix.

    ReplyDelete