Thursday 25 August 2016

Former stone . . . house? Yes.

Spotted this south of Limerick, Saskatchewan on Highway 358 on August 20, 2016. It is on a small hill on the west side of the highway. I thought it might be the remains of a stone house. After taking a close look I am not so sure. It is a little small. Farmers are a resourceful bunch so you do see some interesting sights in areas. There are often a lot of rocks from clearing land and you can try to do something with them. Like build something. I know there are some stone buildings in Saskatchewan. This is the first one I have seen in person.




Someone went to a lot of work to build this. Lugging the stones to the top of this small hill for one. The walls are about eighteen inches thick so a lot of effort was expended. I found the whole thing fascinating walking around it.





The really interesting part about this is that I found out after seeing this that it used to be the home of the Orthodox priest in Flintoft, Saskatchewan years ago. It was also used to house visiting clergy. They must have been short people. It is not a tall house.



This is one of my favourite things that I have run across. A very neat sight.

5 comments:

  1. That is an exceptionally interesting post! Great photos, love the stone house/cottage...I wonder at the roof design. Awesome find BW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen stone fireplaces and stone basements of old farmhouses and stone used to build the lower level of an old barn, but never have I seen a house made of stone. That is just plain cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, wonderful and more wonderful! Almost looks like a miniature castle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhh, you had me at "stone house". Have thing for them (too). You're doing a great job here!

    ReplyDelete