Sunday 7 August 2016

And now for something completely different

I mentioned Rhubarb Relish to some acquaintances and relatives and I got some blank looks in return. My grandmother on my father's side made it years ago. My father loved the stuff and I remember at one time years and years ago there would be a bunch of it sealed in mason jars in the family coldroom. He had it when he was a kid. We would eat it with steak, roast, hamburger, basically beef. I was beginning to think this was a family specific thing since no one I know had ever heard of it. 

I was visiting my mother this weekend and asked her if she remembered it or knew who had a recipe for it. Mom did have a recipe for it. For those that might be interested:


Rhubarb Relish

One quart rhubarb
1 teaspoon allspice
1 chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 pint of vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
2 pounds brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine the ingredients and boil until thick. Then bottle and seal. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for that! My dad, growing up in the upper midwest, loved rhubarb, but you can't grow it where I am in Kali - too hot! Gotta buy it at the store if you want it, but this is a good reason to go get some. Sounds like a great fall/winter relish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not had it for maybe thirty years. My mother consulted her handwritten recipe book so I think this is the recipe.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. It sounds really good. Next time I can get my hands on some rhubarb, I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something else I may have to try to put up....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhubarb pie!!!! Yummy!!! Grows well here in Joisey - but alas, I didn't plant any. My Dad always had a few plants just to make that pie!

    ReplyDelete