Thursday 21 March 2024

Sometimes root beer is more than root beer

Friday February 16, 2024 I was driving home from work and I was involved in an incident. I work in Millet, Alberta and live in Leduc, Alberta and I was driving on Highway 2A. I still remember nothing about someone driving into me. I remember everything going black, waking up in an ambulance, then everything going black again. I next came to in the Royal Alexandra Hospital.

I found out later that they had to cut me out of the car. My clothes were cut off me and were covered in blood. I almost died on the way to the hospital due to blood loss. I had three operations at the hospital to save me and to hold my legs together with external rods and screws. Broken wrist, multiple brakes in my femurs, a broken tibia, and broken ribs. I later had eight hours of surgery at the University of Alberta Hospital on February 26 to properly set my legs and insert metal plates, pins, and screws. I saw the x-rays after the operation and they were enough to make me feel ill.

Before I had the most recent surgery a friend of mine dropped in to see me. It was a good visit and he asked if there was anything I needed. I declined since I did not know what was happening or where I would be. He told me he was going to make a quick trip to Montana to pick up some truck parts, apparently there was some issue getting them shipped the rest of the way into Canada. I said if he was going to be in Montana to keep an eye open for Henry Weinhard’s Private Reserve Root Beer. You cannot get it here. I discovered it years ago and have not had it in many years.

He dropped back in to see me a few days later. While in Montana he checked out stores and did not find any. On the way back he stopped at the grocery store in Sunburst and found it. He promptly bought out their entire supply and let me know I had enough root beer for a while. He even made sure it made it to my home where it is waiting for me. He told me I owe him nothing. I could not help but laugh and maybe get a little choked up. I love the guy and the gesture really made my day and brought some sun into some bleak days. I have one unopened bottle sitting in my hospital room on the nightstand as incentive to get better so I can drink it when I feel up to it. 

If you can find Henry’s and you like root beer then buy it. Root beer can be more than root beer.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gesture from your friend! May you soon be able to drink one of those special root beers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how little things become important after terrible events. With me, after dealing with the aftermath of a hurricane, I had an urge for a Big Mac, but even with McDonald's open, they couldn't get the ingredients for the burger for weeks. When it was finally available, I was finally satisfied, and the urge disappeared.

    I don't know what causes this, but have a feeling it's our brain screaming for a return to times of enjoyment in response to trauma. Enjoy your root beer and the relief it will offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend is one in a million! That is one shining light in your life right now and seeing that sitting on your nightstand is a great incentive to persevere with all the physio and get through the bad times. Bless him for being such a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well there ya go, BW. A couple weeks ago you were a shattered, broken piece of meat falling apart in the back of an ambulance... and today you are here, on the ball mentally, and being showered with gifts by your adoring fans.

    You, my friend - are a rock star.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what love looks like. You have a great friend.
    You're healing and getting healthier every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=henry%27s+root+beer&language=en_US&adgrpid=1225955810594225&hvadid=76622406037484&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=99804&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-76622515495522%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=10487_13587990&tag=txtstdbgdt-20&ref=pd_sl_79iyhialc1_p

    ReplyDelete
  7. PRAYERS FOR YOUR HEALING FROM HERE.

    ReplyDelete