Saturday 29 August 2020

Moose Portage Post Office 1928 - 1957

This is northeast of Smith, Alberta, south of Fawcett Lake, on Range Road 261 south of Township Road 722. The post office operated from 1928 to 1957. The nearest farm is about a mile away. The post office would have served a very rural population. Due south is the Athabasca River and there was a portage there. From what I was able to find out it was named after the abundance of moose in the area.



A very worn and faded sign marks this place. If you get up close it reads Moose Portage Post Office 1928. The date after 1928 cannot be read due to weathering over the years. I looked it up and the end date is 1957. It is behind a fence on private land so I took photos from the road.




4 comments:

  1. That's way up there! I wonder how far they had to bring the logs for the building? I wonder if that spot was treed 100 years ago?
    This exploring to places that I'd never looked at or thought about before is great! I found the place you've shared on the map and I have a idea of what the world looks like in what was a blank spot on the map yesterday, I blank spot I'd never though of before!

    Thanks and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This must be a very photogenic place. Another image of this post office can be seen here: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TgUbjXf2QDc/TBb9ezzEFZI/AAAAAAAAA7Q/dKP-uXwRsc0/s1600/P6130001.JPG and there are clearly trees growing nearby.

      -Joe

      Delete
  2. Another on my list to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that it's seemingly in the middle of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete