Monday 20 January 2020

Not the end but preparing for it

Sometimes you have to put the fun activities aside and be responsible and look after personal matters.

During the cold snap it was too cold to explore the countryside so I turned my attention to some things that needed to be done, one of those was updating my will. It will be very simple. I am single and have no dependents. Executor and beneficiary will be one and the same, which is my only sibling. I want it to be simple and straightforward.

I made an appointment with a lawyer. I emailed everything beforehand then met with him in person. After he asked me his questions and took his notes I was informed it would take two weeks to get a draft done. Two weeks to get a very simple draft done. Thankfully I am in fine health (that I know of) and I am not terminal, otherwise I could die before I got it updated. I could complain however I did not feel like shopping for another lawyer. The service could be worse with a different one. The lawyer I did get is one of those older types that looks like he should be retiring any day which is good. If you are in need of professional services get someone who has a lot of experience.

I would like to get everything set up so that when I do drop dead all anyone has to do is open an envelope and all the information, including the will, will be there. No hunting for bank account information, credit card information, vehicle information, or anything else for that matter. I say this because I have had some exposure to some estates where people have died and no one knows where anything is and stuff is scattered all over the place. There will be no service and cremation will be the order of the day. A friend of mine already has his headstone and a burial plot with a start date and a blank end date. I have seen the spot that he has picked out, it is a lovely spot. I have to admire his planning.

The only flaw in this plan is that I would like my ashes scattered in a certain place. Trying to find someone to do it is another matter. The person has to outlive you. If they predecease you then you have to find someone else to do it. Then you have been be certain they will follow through and not just put you up on a closet shelf and forget about you or just dump you anywhere. Hopefully I can find someone to fulfill a future last request.

13 comments:

  1. Since I have one child, my son, he is already in possession of everything he cares to have except my savings. I told him burn the bum, flush the ashes, grab the money and run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last while I've been looking for and finding the grave markers of family that came before me. Finding my great great grand parents grave stone was a different experience, it changed me a little.

    I have family who have died and their ashes were scattered, no marker for anyone to look for & find 130 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be able to be a link in a continuous chain where I would have a marker and descendants would look me up. In my case I can’t see it happening.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to be cremated and have my ashes scattered where the Cowman is. It's beautiful there and if the kids come to visit they only have to make one trip. There is no headstone, but we are putting a plaque on the big rock above the Cowman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched "The Big Lebowski" again on TV yesterday, with its hilarious scattering of ashes scene. If you haven't seen that movie, you should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seen this movie several times. It is a favourite.

      Delete
  5. Being prepared for the end is a must in my book. I think everyone should be remembered and a headstone makes a fine memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good. I have personally dealt with intestate cases and 40 year old wills. Not nice. Also should look at enduring power of attorney and instructions which should be separate from your will. As to the headstone, I am also having second thoughts. As an amatuer genealogist I have spent many hours and miles searching for gravestones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're doing a service for those that are left behind to deal. We have pre-arranged everything too, mainly because our sons are at such distances from here. Cremation...no service....and our 'niche' is already bought and has everything engraved on it beyond our kicking off date. Completely threw my brother-in-law for a loop when he came across it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ps - being a genealogist I wanted my ashes to be somewhere where they could be tracked down by future generations.

    ReplyDelete