Sunday 17 February 2019

Stony Beach

Grain elevator at Stony Beach, SK
I was in Regina, Saskatchewan recently and took some time to go visit the grain elevator at Stony Beach, between Regina and Moose Jaw on the CN branch line. This elevator is fairly unique in that it still wears the full Saskatchewan Wheat Pool logos.

The rail line is still in use by CN - I'm not sure about the elevator.

While I was there, I drove through the hamlet's few streets and spotted this old church (?), now boarded up. Based on a little Googling, it could have been an Anglican church.


The white building beside it intrigued me. It looks like an old railway section house.


The hamlet seems to have a fair number of people still living there. There is a lot of industrial activity nearby, as Stony Beach is just north of Belle Plaine (on the Trans-Canada Highway) where there is a large Mosaic potash mine, a new Ilta Grain loading facility, some natural gas wells, and the CP Rail main line.

While I was driving to Stony Beach, I saw a fox cross the road. I was able to pull over and pick my camera off the passenger seat and snap some photos as it bounded across a field. The photos are very grainy (ISO 6400) as it was still pretty dark and the fox was a good distance away. Still, I'm glad I photographed it. It was cute.


Finally, here's an arty photo I took of the grain elevator by zooming the lens while the shutter was open. I like the effect.

Thanks for reading! More about the Stony Beach grain elevator.

- Steve Boyko

3 comments:

  1. A new (looking) door on the church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I haven't seen an old Saskatchewan Wheat Pool logo on an elevator since I can't remember when!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the information online about Stoney Beach I was trying to learn where it was in Saskatchewan when Google gave me your info. My father had family there and he was born en-route to Aunt Martha's farm there I December 1913

    ReplyDelete