Wednesday 30 August 2017

No fear

Heights bother me.

August 26, 2017 I took my motorcycle over the Going-To-The-Sun Road in Glacier National Park in Montana from St. Mary to West Glacier. I had tried to take this road in the summer of 2015. It was closed due to a forest fire however you could go partway up on the west side. I made it halfway up the road to the visitor center and had to stop and turn back. My fear of heights would not let me go further.

This time I made it. I took the road from St. Mary all the way to West Glacier. I got some hazy photos, the haze was due to the smoke from forest fires in British Columbia. From the Visitor Center to "The Loop" the road hangs on the side of the mountain with some steep and sheer drops. I have no photos from there because I was too nervous to pull over on the lookouts to take any photos. The speed limit in that section is 25mp/h.

If you are ever in this area and heights do not bother you then definitely take this road. The views are spectacular. The road is paved. I was on a motorcycle and it cost me $25USD at the park gate to take the road. The pass was good for seven days. It is worth it.

The road from east to west.


Saint Mary Lake.






Views from the Visitor Center. There is a building with a big parking lot at the Visitor Center where you can take a number of trails. This is kind of the highest point/mid point of the road.



5 comments: