Thursday 1 September 2016

Cessford Cemetery and a possible American Civil War connection

August 28, 2016 east of Cessford, Alberta on Highway 561. The highway is gravel east of Cessford. This cemetery surprised me. Cessford is a small town with people living in it. I think the only thing that keeps it alive is a school. I expected the cemetery to have some relatively recent graves and in better care.  



The cemetery is fairly large. Only one part seems to be occupied.


The headstones that I did see are in great condition. There might be some covered by undergrowth. I did not want to disturb anything.


This was the most recent headstone that I found.


There is a sad looking fenced area that yielded something very interesting.


Inside was this headstone. Possible American Civil War connection? Apparently there is. An online search reveals Charles David Rawleigh, was born in Deerfield Twp, Oneida County, New York in 1844. On December 4, 1863, he enlisted in Company G, 24th New York Cavalry, as a private and continued to serve in the Eastern Army until July 26, 1865, when he was honorably discharged at Cloud Mills, Virginia, as a sergeant. Cessford, Alberta is a far and lonely place for this person to end up. This is unusual and I hope the story is authentic.



The inscription at the bottom reads:


"My love goes with you
And my soul waits to join you"


8 comments:

  1. Awesome find BW! He apparently was still looking for the home of the free...and found it. Lovely inscription.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I love old cemeteries. The inscriptions on the old stones can provide so many answers, but they can also raise questions - like with the war veteran's did.
    Try going back after the grass dies or just after the snow melts, you'll spot many more that you missed the first time around.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only a couple of hours from where I am so I am thinking of a return trip in late October.

      Delete
  3. I have found in my research into my family history that there were a series of financial panics in the US after the Civil War. Some banks closed their doors and unemployment was high. Some of my ancestors who lived in
    Chenango County, New York, migrated to Canada while others moved west to settle in Minnesota and the Dakotas. It is possible that similar circumstances brought this veteran of that war to the area where he was buried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not consider that. A lot of people moved to Canada to homestead land. If you worked it you could get land for free. The land in that area is more suitable for ranching, not growing crops.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting. I have a number of ancestors that served with different units from Tennessee during the WBTS.
    Gr-gr uncles were in the Cavalry also. Just a different side. It looks like someone is caring for the markers. The whole cemetery is is very good condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to go back for another look. There might be something of interest in the same fenced area.

      Delete
  5. Great post, BW! Love the carved headstones. Sometimes a little poem is engraved on the older ones. I like the wire fence and gate. When I was a child, the small garden in the back yard had the same type. Haven't seen that for years and years. Bought back a few memories - thank you!

    ReplyDelete